Tuesday 26 March 2013

Let's get sparkly

I love sequins.  What's not to love ?  All that shiny, sparkly, easy to place on my layouts little beauties! I have  an article in Scrap365 showing my sequin love.  Did you see it ?  I love how the magazine created the the sequined "Sequin" for the title....must try that on my layout.

This is one of the pages I shared.


It is a photo of J when he was about four years old. He used to love having his photos taken. Aaah, those were the days.

I sewed sequins in rows, using the sewing machine onto vellum ( or in my case, when I couldn't source vellum used tracing paper ). I then die cut circles and scallops out of my "embroidered" vellum on my Big Shot. 

Somebody at The Retreat asked me how difficult it was to sew the sequins. It wasn't too bad for me. I said for me because I don't mind doing a small amount of difficult stuff if I know the production line is very limited. I would have hated it if I had to do 10 circles, or 15 circles. But it did require patience in buckets. You need to carefully slide in each sequin under the needle. I didn't worry too much if some are misaligned. I have used a mixture of cupped and dead-level ( I am sure there is a word for this!) sequins; the cupped varieties have the tendency to jump about.

5 comments:

Sian said...

Yes, I saw it and I loved it..delicate and yet plenty of room for telling the story. Plus, sparkles as well, of course: what's not to love?!

Unknown said...

I saw it too!! Gorgeous and so inspiring Ifa....expect to see this technique sometime soon on one of mine!!! LOL but then again maybe not as the sewing machine and I have a love/hate affair!!

debs14 said...

Love how you have sewn those sequins together. I would love to give that a try, will have to wait for a day when I have a lot of patience and time to do it properly!

alexa said...

Such patient and pretty work, Ifa - I always love your combination of the clutch of colour and interesting things together and then the white space you always leave around it. For me, just perfect :).

Scrappi Sandi said...

I love all the detail (even more than usual!!) in this LO...there is so much to take in & yes that is a gorgeous photo too! You have more patience than me with those squins...mine get glued!!!! :D