Monday 9 September 2013

Right Here...Summer Style with Layers



Hello Gorgeous.  How are you enjoying the UKS Blog Hop so far ?  You should have come from Cal but if you are lost, you can find all the links back on UKS.

Welcome to my blog. I am going to show you how I created a very layered layout. I hope it will inspire you to get creating now that the kids are back at school.

I don't usually have a lot of layers under my photos but on discovering a lot of journaling cards, I thought I had better put some of them to work.  Rather than haphazardly pushing cards and embellishments under, I decided to work at the layers methodically.  A bit too prescriptive ? Maybe!  For me, it helped to think of the layers like this.
 
I started by preparing my base cardstock. I removed approximately 1" from the white cardstock to end up with 11"x11".  I didn't cut it too straight before I framed it with 2 patterned papers. I am intending to machine sew around the edge but I won't do this till the end.
 
 
I added four journaling cards plus the red tag to lift a very neutral card a little.


Next I added two Fancy Pants stencil cards.  The cut out on the card provided me an opportunity to add another layer so underneath them went a piece of patterned paper and some stamps. Later on, you'll see why I used the stamps.

 
I added two photos to the mix.


This is followed by a framed photo in the middle.  The chipboard and a little bit of twine adds another layer.

 
Next I added three clusters of labels in a triangle formation - top right, bottom right and middle left. You probably already know about how a triangle is used in designing a LO so I will not bother you with a lecture today. 

 
I added a wood veneer shape on top of each cluster of labels and that's pretty much my photo area done.

 
I added a title at the bottom of the page. I seem to be doing a lot of titles at the bottom of the page right now. You are probably bored with that.   For this layout, moving to the bottom provided some clear space between two areas of clutter.  I went over the top with some stamps from October Afternoon.
 
 
That space in between provided the perfect area for my journaling. I also sew around the edges at this point.

 
There you go. The photos are from when we visited Mudeford, Dorset  This layout is called Right Here because you don't have to get on a plane to find some lovely place. Do those postage stamps make sense now ?
 

I hope you are inspired to try this yourself.  If you do, please post me a link.  I would love to see.

That's all from me.  Your next stop is Kathy on http://kathyisshopping.blogspot.co.uk/.

60 comments:

jill said...

lovely lo's. the sunglasses are fun on the page. ukscrappers nmae lemonblossom

Sarah said...

Fab project - love this! - Thanks for sharing - Hugs Butterbee (UKS Blog hop)

My not so simple life said...

beautiful layout, cant wait to give this a go :) gemmasteele on uks

Karen said...

Lovely LO and lots going on but it doesn't look busy or overcrowded :) Kitty Crafts UKS

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

great layout! Love this idea of using journaling cards :)

Leigh said...

your work is always so beautiful Ifa. uks simplyme

new2this said...

What a lot of layers .. I wonder if this would sork as a digi LO .. I think I might try. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

Oooh great LO and I love the idea of the title at the bottom....I've never tried that, thanks for the inspiration. Scarymary555 on UKS

Susan said...

Gorgeous, love all the layers

scoobiesue - UKS

Unknown said...

A lovely LO and ideas to try. Thank you

Lyn M UKS Lyn55

Pauline said...

Oh my - what a lovely layout and thanks for the description of how you layer - it is a dream of mine to get this right! Thanks for sharing.
PaulineD UKS

Jo said...

I really love you layout. I always want lots of layers but never seem to be able to get it to look quite right. UKS Wonky

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I love to see lots of layers on LOs, but never seem to pull it off myself. Thanks for sharing your process :o)

misteejay said...

What a lovely LO - love the colours and the use of 'white-space'.

Toni xx (misteejay on UKS)

susibee said...

A fab page and you made it look so simple!

UKs susibee

Christine said...

Great LO - so many interesting bits to look at.

UKS chrisrydal

Weasel said...

Thanks for breaking the layers down - makes a lot more sense to see it in stages - great LO! TFS.
UKS-Weaselwise

mrst said...

Challenging for me as so different! UKS mrst

Ali said...

Fabulous layering, great details, love how you've overlapped the background pp. Tfs.

UKS AliTS

Mel said...

Love the layers here Ifa - its not a look I can always pull off!

Mole said...

I don't tend to buy the journal cards but like what you have done with yours! And I do like a bit of layering!

Mole UKS

Sian said...

I love layers but do find it quite a difficult look to achieve so it's great to see this set out and easy to follow! Love the finished page. Thanks.

UKS Violaceous

Jo_annepinc said...

Love your LO, I haven't experimented much with layering but love how good this looks, JoPink

akilli melek said...

love the layered approach but I'm too mean to use postage stamps lol. love the journalling cards
UKS akilli_melek

AuroraDawn said...

Truly amazing page. Definitely makes me want to hit the craft room.

UKS Aurora

Unknown said...

Great to see your process and boy have you crammed a whole load onto this page! A delight, as always Ifa :)

Lelly said...

Love how you have layered all this and great tutorial
Thanks
UKS lelly

furrypig said...

thanks for walking me through your layout creating process it is fab!(Furrypig on UKS too!)

Lesley G said...

Very different to you usual style Ifa but fab all the same :)
cheekymole

Jimjams said...

Interesting to see how you built it up. TFS your lovely page (very you)!
Jemma (aka Jimjams)

Sue Jones said...

fab page as always Ifa - Hope you are well xx

debbie r said...

Love this lo Ifa :-)

Beanpie 11

Jess said...

Great layout! I love the Fancy Pants cards layered over PP, must try that!

Jessbaby

chris said...

Definitely inspired by this tutorial.
Thank you
Chris55

Gill said...

Gorgeous! I especially like the stencil cards!

House of Bears said...

We love the way you've managed all those layers without making a bulky looking page.

Effie said...

That's a lovely LO
Efemera

Unknown said...

Love this. I especially like the layered stamping. Must give it a go.
Alimad - UKS

Anonymous said...

I Love your work and this is no exception
Great step by step
Scrapdolly

K said...

Gorgeous layout, tanks for showing how you layered it up.
Sylphraven

knitkath said...

Thank you for sharing how you do layers, beautiful end result.

Unknown said...

Great lay out, thanks for sharing.
Jude (hollybank)

Niki Rowland said...

Gorgeous layout, love the white background and the stencils. Thanks very much xx UKS: ScrapHappyNiki

Tigs said...

Thanks for the layering idea, lovely LO.

MiniOwner said...

Oh I just love this, Ifa. I'm pinning it straight away. :o) Thank you for sharing.
Sue x (MiniOwner)

Sam R said...

Love the way you did the die cut title idea, never thought of using the negatves

uks darm

Unknown said...

It looks lovely, great way of building up the layers. The finished look is very effective.

Unknown said...

Forgot to say I'm lindschick!

Emy said...

Fabulous layout. I love the stencil cards and the stamps details and the detail of the twine wrapped around the frame. Gorgeous xx

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

ooh those stencil cards look very nice! Happy hopping, jenx

Mrsjobee said...

Great us of the journalling cards (jo.bee)

kjjc said...

Very inspiring. Great use of the stamps.thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

This is awesome. Love all those layers and the sunglasses in the bottom are so cute. Thanks for sharing (Jacqui200284 on uks) :)

Fran said...

Wow this is an amazing layout with all those layers. UKS Hedgie

Wizbit said...

I love the layers, especially the stencilled layer.. May have to try that with some dies I bought recently. Thanks for the inspiration

Liz

Leanie said...

Thanks for the idea- off to cut some journaling cards! Leanie

Lesley Thomas said...

I'm more of a card maker than a scrapper, but you have made a lovely page

Pat said...

Lovely layers on this.

Sian said...

A really nice peep into your creative process. It's a beautiful page

alexa said...

Lovely to see how,you have gone about this. It is a very pretty page ...