Sunday 2 October 2011

Storytelling Sunday - What's your diagnosis, doctor ?

Over ten years ago, I started getting red rashes all over my face whenever I exerted myself. Nothing like a marathon or extensive work out, just running to catch the train for work, that was just there, on the platform. Over time, I could feel the itchy rashes spreading to my scalp...eugh! Not sure what I look like but can't be pretty, can it ?

Over time, the unsightly rashes came with less and less exertion, some times just cycling a small hill in Cambridge. I also started getting a headache a few hours after the exertion. I couldn't even play boxing on wii. Running up the stairs on London underground meant I would have to pay later.

The headache got so black after a bout of tennis coaching in 2006. Something is very wrong! I went to see a doctor. I had various test but everything was normal. She offered to refer me to a hospital but reckoned it was merely the stress of moving to the country. Since she put it like that, how could I be so hysterical ? I decided to suffer and exert myself as little as possible. But sometimes just walking on holiday could give me the blackest of headache and at times, heat stroke.

By the beginning of this year, I was getting a headache nearly every week. I am now in a different area with a new GP so maybe I can get a second opinion. In April I went to see a doctor. She examined me, ordered some blood tests and said, "You are just dehydrated". I let on that drinking a glass of water seemed to bring temporary relief from the headache.

So I went home and drunk plenty of water ( but I was also permanently needing the toilet ) so I decided to give up on tea. I had the worst one week of withdrawal symptoms. Yes, including those headache but at least the water was helping and I didn't need to go to the toilet quite so often.

After that week, I am almost free of headache and I don't get those rashes, cycling. I am now doing Zumba (lol, on the wii ) without fear of later suffering. I miss my tea but I don't miss those terrible headaches.

ps:I have tried decaf tea but that brought on the same symptoms so it is not the caffeine.

This story was written for Sian's Storytelling Sunday. Please join us.

13 comments:

Sian said...

Well, you certainly have my sympathy because I suffer from headaches too - and you also have my admiration for taking steps to rid yourself of them! I know I drink too much coffee and I know I probably do need to cut down. So thanks for the story Ifa - you have given me something to think about today!

Lizzie said...

My, who would have thought the solution would turn out to be something so straightforward? I am so pleased you solved your problem, Ifa - what a nasty problem and how worrying it must have been. I wonder if it's an allergic reaction, or that the tea does dehydrate you? Still, it probably doesn't matter much, now that you know what to do! Glad you've sorted it out - glad you can get back to Normal.
Good story - thanks for sharing!

scrappyjacky said...

Quite a amazing that something like tea could cause so many problems....but glad you managed to get to the bottom of the problem.

Miriam said...

So glad you got to the bottom of it, but who would have thought of tea? I was once very poorly because I had let myself get dehydrated! I'm wondering if I could live without tea?

debs14 said...

So pleased there was a simple solution to your problem, who'd have thought an innocent mug of tea could be such a problem?! My son swears by green tea, and claims it has many health giving properties. I haven't tried it myself though, it doesn't exactly look delicious!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

So glad you managed to solve the problem. I haven't been able to drink ordinary tea since I had my children. It started to make me feel really ill, so I switched to Redbush.

alexa said...

Glad you are feeling better :) and admiring your decision about tea. I drink way too much, I reckon!

Gail said...

So glad you've discovered what was causing it - who would have thought tea though. Glad to hear those headaches are gone.

furrypig said...

gosh you had to do some detective work to get to the bottom of all your symptoms! Hope you stay well xxx

Ginger said...

We always assume tea is good for you... good for you for finally getting to the bottom of the headaches :)

Missus Wookie said...

ugh on the headaches, I gave up soda to get rid of my excema like rashes but that's just extra sugar. I wonder what is in the tea? Glad you are feeling better and on the wii exercising again.

Becky said...

Glad you managed to find a solution to your headaches - there is nothing worse, I know as I suffer badly from them too.

humel said...

Oh, no! I'm glad the problem was solved in the end - how odd!